Wednesday, October 23, 2013

My Bus Vacation at Spencerʻs Beach


Last week I decided to see if I could take a vacation to the other side of the island, the one with the white sandy beaches, by taking the Hele-On Bus and be independent.  A friend who takes the bus decided to join me and we had a fun and interesting adventure.


We camped near the pavillion on the south side of the park, and had a lovely grassy space for our tent, a picnic table, a camp grill we didnʻt use, and lots of running water, showers, and even electricity in the pavilion.  It was quite stylin.


There was even a lifeguard to make sure we are all safe when swimming, although it is a very safe beach for kids of all ages.




We didnʻt cook much, and Tasty Bite meals from the health food store provided us with hot and easy dinners. 



On this side of the island the sun sets in the ocean, and sometimes there is a green flash. I have never seen it but it is a good reason for stopping everything and watching the sunset.

75

Taking the bus required looking at lots of bus schedules, and going there we got three transfers and I only paid 75 cents, a discount senior ticket, and two dollars for my luggage. Affordable.  Getting back we had to hitchhike up the hill, and then to Waimea, but got there in time for the 11am bus, so I couldnʻt transfer to get home, because my own home bus didnʻt leave for another 4 hours after we got back to Hilo. But I still got back for $4.50.  Not bad.  And the campground was only $5. a night for island residents. We took all sizes buses, big ones, small ones, and a tiny one. Weʻre planning to do it again in spring, it would only be fun in good weather. Rain and wind would have been more of a challenge.



No comments:

Post a Comment