Friday, April 19, 2013

Aspie, or Aspie Not

Several of the posts on my Facebook Asperger's groups today have been about identifying as Aspie, saying I am instead of I have, and whether to tell others, or if labeling yourself Aspergrian is even necessary or good.  I am so glad I discovered I am Aspergian (I think that name makes me feel like I really am from another planet) and although some of my friends said it was labeling myself, I considered it as UNlabeling myself, from being crazy, stupid, uncaring, and all the other labels friends and lovers had put on me.  I am so not ashamed of being Aspie, and suddenly all the things I can't do well are ok, just me, the way I was born. It is up to you to cope with me or leave me alone. I do many things better than some people, and I am happy giving up having to do everything as good or better than everyone else.  Get over it.  It is quite a relief to not try to be as good as others in things I just haven't been able to do in my 60 yrs.

My son was just as relieved when he found out at 34 with his official diagnosis.

It is not doing your children any good to deny their Aspieness.  It does not mean they are defective. It means they are just fine the way they are.  They know they are different, don't deny them the community of others who are much the same as them. My online Aspie community is there for me every day and understands me better than most people. The saddest ones are the young people whose parents won't accept their differences.

I am proud to be an Aspie, and April being Autism Awareness month want to share this.

No comments:

Post a Comment